Sunday, March 6, 2016

Salisbury Steak and Route 99

Salisbury steak. #yegfood

To me, no meal screams "diner" like Salisbury Steak. I decided to try the one at Route 99 (8820 99 Street) when I was there for lunch last week. It started with a small bowl of the soup of the day, which was cream of broccoli (I could have had salad). Warm, comforting, and a great way to start the meal. Then, it came: a plate of glistening gravy atop a huge, thick beef patty, two mountains of mashed potatoes, and sweet carrots. The onions on top of the patty really made the meal - there were a lot of them, and they were fried to perfection. The beef patty had a great charbroiled taste, while I found the mashed potatoes to be slightly sour, perhaps from buttermilk. I would possibly have it with fries next time. This meal stuck to my ribs and kept me full all day. It was greasy spoon personified.

No comments:

Post a Comment