Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Breakfast for Lunch: Latkes and Gravlax at Mill Creek Cafe

Latkes and gravlax at Mill Creek Cafe #yegfood

I had a meeting last week at Mill Creek Cafe and as I had not yet had lunch, got there early to order something. I went for an item that I learned is on the lunch menu as well as the brunch menu: latkes and gravlax. To use the term "latkes" as opposed to "potato pancakes" implies a certain degree of, dare I say it, chutzpah. However, flavour-wise, these latkes taste right. They were the right size and texture, as far as the grated variety goes (most places serve them thick and gummy, with semi-raw pieces of potato). Putting gravlax - home made smoked salmon - with latkes is something different for me, but the flavours worked together. Instead of the Boursin soft cheese I opted for sour cream. A side salad with balsamic dressing rounded out the plate. This is definitely what I would call a Jewish fusion dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment