Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Taste of Edmonton 2014

Kung Pow Chicken

Taste of Edmonton is a local food lover's paradise. There are a number of new restaurants and dishes in the festival this year. One of the tried and true is the Beijing Style Kung Pow Chicken from The Lingnan. I only had a spoonful of this as it was for someone else, but it was full of spicy flavour and chicken, on top of a bed of rice. Really intense.

Dry Spicy Chicken

For me, the only menu item I chose to get again from previous years was the dry spicy chicken from The Lingnan. I can only eat a few pieces but it is worth the lingering burning on my lips.

Fried Green Tomatoes

The Fried Green Tomatoes from Creole Envie was my absolute must-try for this year, probably for the same reason as many others: the movie of the same name. That being said, for only two tickets I got at least six slices of lightly breaded and fried green tomatoes, which tasted slightly acidic with a nice crunch, accented by the creole aioli.

Bannock

I was really happy to see Aboriginal food being represented this year by the inclusion of Native Delights. The bannock fry bread, made with non-GMO ingredients, was absolutely delightful: not greasy but crispy on the outside, with a chewy inside and slight sweetness.

Beef Garlic Rump Steak

I have not had the courage to visit Pampa Brazilian Steakhouse as I do not think I have the fortitude to withstand such a meat overload, but the Beef Garlic Rump Steak satisfied my curiosity. Rump can be a very tough cut, but this was marinated to perfection and the garlic was not overpowering. Although I had one bite that was practically all fat, overall I enjoyed the skewer.

Ater Kik Alecha Wok

I love lentils so was overjoyed to discover the yellow lentil dish Ater Kik Alecha Wok from Langano Skies, another restaurant that I have heard many good things about but have never ventured within. Served with a small piece of sour injera bread, this was a great dish for vegetarians and a gentle introduction to Ethiopian food.

Beef Short Rib and Mash

The Beef Short Rib and Mash from Normand's Bistro was one of my favourite dishes of the afternoon. The meat was practically melting in my mouth, the mashed potatoes were creamy, and the sauce was at once sweet and savoury.

Jamaican Beef Patty

I had to wait a while to get a Jamaican Beef Patty from Irie Foods (2807 Millwoods Road), because they were sold out. Once I finally got my hands on one, I could see why. The size is fairly substantial, with a light, flaky pastry filled with spicy beef. Served in a paper bag, it was slightly awkward to eat, but really good value and ideal for people who like it hot.

Pineapple Chicken

The Pineapple Chicken from Blue Willow was for someone else, but I managed to sneak a bite of the lightly breaded chicken in a sweet pineapple sauce.

Black Forest Whoopie Pie

By this point I was winding down and desiring dessert. The Black Forest Whoopie Pie from the Edmonton Petroleum Club was my choice. The whipped cream and cherry filling between two chocolate cake wafers was certainly good satisfaction for my sweet tooth, although I would have enjoyed more of the cherry.

Jack Daniels Apple Crumble

I was out of tickets by now but retrieved dessert for someone else, and how I wish this Jack Daniels Apple Crumble with Ice Cream from On The Rocks was mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment