Friday, September 13, 2013

Breakfast For Lunch: Tutti Frutti

Fruit cocktail at Tutti Frutti Breakfast and Lunch #yegfood

Although the name could be confused with the frozen yogurt chain, Tutti Frutti Breakfast and Lunch (169 Street & 107 Avenue) is also a chain. Like Cora's, it originates in Quebec and the menu is very similar in many respects. There is a huge variety of French toast, crepes, egg dishes (which can be served with anything from wieners to fried bologna to baked beans to ham and bacon), and lunch specials, including a basic hamburger. The atmosphere of the restaurant is a lot more mature than Cora's, which is something I appreciated. I went for the VIP Breakfast, which includes a crepe, two pieces of French toast, and a mountain of fresh fruit on top. On the side I ordered the home fries, because they looked so wonderful in the menu pictures, and a fruit cocktail as my drink.

VIP breakfast at Tutti Frutti Breakfast and Lunch #yegfood

The fruit cocktail was like a smoothie without the dairy. I could just feel the freshness of the fruit, with a texture that was not too thick. Very refreshing. My breakfast plate was huge. The French toast was sweet with just a hint of cardamom or all spice or something to give it a slight kick, in a pastry sort of way. The crepe was thin, plain, and benefited from the syrup on the table. The fruit went perfectly with everything, and I loved how seasonal fruit like plums and nectarines were included, not just grapes and melon.

Home fries at Tutti Frutti Breakfast and Lunch #yegfood

As for the potatoes: for less than $3 we got a rather substantial plate of pan-fried, seasoned, sliced home fries. Because they were pan fried instead of deep fried, the texture ranged from soft to crunchy, which I quite like. I look forward to having these with an omelette or burger on my next visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment