Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The Ritual of the Beer Garden - EFMF 2013

EFMF 2013 - Beer Garden

The Edmonton Folk Music Festival is one of the city's most popular summer events. It is known for its music, first and foremost. It is known for the camaraderie on the big hill in Gallagher Park. related to this previous point, it is also a social experience for many. And for many who attend the Folk Fest, it doesn't get more social than in the beer garden.

EFMF 2013 - Beer Garden

With a capacity of 2000, there is usually a long line up from both entrances when the park gets busy and the temperatures rise. A "ten out/ten in" then ensues. I had to wait for a short while a couple of the times I tried to gain entry, but things went very smooth, mostly due to the attention of the many volunteers staffing the entry/exit points.

EFMF 2013 - Beer Garden

Once inside, the EFMF beer garden is like a microcosm all its own. There is its own set of washrooms as well as access to the Fat Franks vendor, so that people can have something to eat with their drinks. There is lots of seating, and plenty of tents for shade. When things really got hot, volunteers walked around with spray bottles of water. I don't really like being sprayed with water, so I did my best to duck when I saw them coming! But seriously, you can really be set for the day (or evening) in there - and in fact, some people spend most of the EFMF experience in the beer garden. What about the music? At the north end, there is excellent sound from stage one, while at the south end, once can hear stage two pretty clearly. The main stage performances are also audible.

EFMF 2013 - Beer Garden

Big Rock is the exclusive beverage supplier to the beer garden. After you purchase your tickets, you then get in line for your drink(s) to be poured. I found that the drink ticket lines were way shorter than the line ups to pick up the drinks. I first tried a Pilsner called Saaz, which was smooth. Later, I had a Grasshopper, which is one of the first beers I ever liked. However, I am not always in the mood for beer when I was a hard drink, and Rock Creek Cider was perfect on a hot afternoon.

EFMF 2013 - Beer Garden

Life in the beer garden can be noisy and crowded, and sometimes a stark contrast to the hill. But many of the people move in and out freely (at least, when the line ups are not too bad) and are ardent music lovers. Those who stay in the beer garden tend to view the EFMF primarily as a social experience, and like any good bar, there are the characters and regulars. The photo above is of the Hockey Prophet, who appears on the Sunday afternoon. And yes, I do know this person in real life.

This year, I really wanted to get a feel for why so many people hang out in the beer garden, and I think I discovered why. The atmosphere is very free, cold beer tastes wonderful on a hot afternoon, and you really do meet all kinds of people. I probably ran into more people who I know there than I did in any other place on the festival grounds. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment