Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Fringe Food 2013

Fringe 2013

I spent several afternoons at the Edmonton International Fringe Theatre Festival last week because I love roaming the grounds and taking in the buskers, and also because I was part of the volunteer Multimedia Team. As far as food goes, the pickings seemed a bit slimmer than in previous years. The biggest surprise was the lack of any food trucks (other than ones used for special events).

Fringe 2013

I had to have an onion cake, with its crispy outside and soft interior. I ended up having two (on different days).

Fringe 2013

Soner's Donair is a yearly hit because the food is incredible. I had the falafel and there were at least four large balls of fried ground chickpeas, amidst the tzatziki sauce and veggies. A little messy to eat, but worth the effort.

Fringe 2013

As much as I love kettle corn, my favourite kind of popcorn is the traditional, movie-style kind. I am happy to see it available at festivals and enjoyed a couple of bags during the Fringe.

Fringe 2013

The mango chicken from Zaika is another yearly favourite for me. Think butter chicken, but sweeter. I also love the addition of a veggie samosa. I could have added naan for another couple of dollars, but the portion would have ended up being too large for me.

Fringe 2013

Who doesn't love mini-doughnuts? So soft, so hot, so sweet. Best of all, they were half price for volunteers!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent blog, Paula. We also noticed the lack of food vendors. Chicken masala & fish pakoras from Zaika and Chili chicken/channa masala combo from New Asian Village were my faves. Dolmas are a nice midday snack, too.

    ReplyDelete