Sunday, May 13, 2012

On the Street: Turkey Sausage

Turkey Sausage by raise my voice
Turkey Sausage, a photo by raise my voice on Flickr.

Welcome to "On the Street," my series of food blogs on Edmonton's growing street food scene.

When I think of street food in Edmonton, I think of Fat Franks. For me, spring arrives when I start seeing the company's carts on the street. Munching on a hot dog outside is one of my favourite spring and summer pleasures.

I went for a bike ride this afternoon to the cart on 124 Street and 102 Avenue outside Mountain Equipment Co-op. I was tempted by a new special: turkey sausage. I know I had this once before, last summer, I think at the Folk Fest, but could never find it on anyone's carts since.

The sausage was $5, and slightly larger than the Jumbo Dog, which is what I typically get. Within the crispy casing was ground turkey meat that was light in both texture and taste, with a hint of seasonings. I tried the cranberry mustard as per the cart attendant's suggestion, but was glad I did not put much on - it tasted like cranberry sauce in a squeezable bottle moreso than mustard - a bit too sweet.

Overall, I would say I find the Jumbo Dog more satisfying and also with a stronger taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment