Saturday, May 5, 2012

Breakfast for Lunch: Huevos Rancheros at Humpty's

Huevos Rancheros by raise my voice
Huevos Rancheros, a photo by raise my voice on Flickr.

I ended up at the Kingsway location of Humpty's for lunch. As it was too early (as far as my stomach was concerned) for anything other than breakfast food, I scanned the menu for something other than my usual two eggs and toast sort of thing. I have had eggs for the past few days, and needed something different.

I decided to try the restaurant's version of Huevos Rancheros. My eggs were done perfectly over-easy as I requested, over a crispy tortilla shell smothered in diced tomatoes and bell peppers. The "Mexi-sauce" holding everything together was more like a thin salsa with a few beans in it - I have had a thicker bean paste in other versions. Still, it had enough kick and the sour cream and salsa rounded the flavours out well.

The potato fritters (Tater Tots by any other name . . . ) were crispy as always. Overall, this was a nice change from my usual breakfast-for-lunch routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment