Thursday, October 13, 2011

A Mixed Lunch: Steak Sandwich at Early Bird

Steak Sandwich by raise my voice
Steak Sandwich, a photo by raise my voice on Flickr.

The steak sandwich on the menu of the Early Bird Cafe (102 Avenue and 97 Street) was listed as one of the diner's (it really was more of a diner than a cafe, with an open kitchen) signature dishes. I went for it, and was impressed with the portion size. The sauteed vegetabled in particular stood out - they were freshly prepared. The fries were crispy and nicely seasoned, and the three large onion rings atop the steak were a hearty garnish.

The steak itself was average. It was a seven ounce piece of broiled meat which could have done with a bit more seasoning to bring out the flavour. I also asked for well done, and it was closer to medium well in some spots. I am also not sure how fresh the bread was which was used for the garlic toast.

The menu variety and reasonable prices would bring me to Early Bird again, but Ia m not sure I would order this. I would try to come extra early to have a breakfast item, which is what I understand the place really shines at.

No comments:

Post a Comment