Thursday, September 1, 2011

Turkey Dinner at Ricky's

Turkey Dinner by raise my voice
Turkey Dinner, a photo by raise my voice on Flickr.

A day of hard work builds an appetite, and when my co-newspaper delivery helper requested a substantial dinner of roast beef, I thought of Ricky's All Day Grill. There are several locations in the city - we went to the one on 170 Street. and 99 Avenue.

He was quite happy with his large plate full of meat, mashed potatoes, roasted vegetables, and Yorkshire pudding covered in gravy, while I opted for the turkey dinner. I love turkey, even when it is not holiday time.

I am glad to say I was pleasantly surprised by the portion size and quality of the dinner. There was so much turkey (thinly sliced white breast meat, to be exact) that I still had some on my plate when I had finished most of the trimmings. The meat was juicy, while the vegetables almost stole the show. It was a stir-fry mix and was fresh, not frozen, and roasted in seasonings that enhanced their flavour instead of overpowering it.

The mashed garlic potatoes were ordinary and tasted like they came from a mix, but went well with the overall meal which also included stuffing, cranberry sauce (fresh - not jelly), and gravy. I had my gravy to the side, as I find I prefer to control the amount I eat. I am glad I did, as it was served lukewarm.

Our meals were only around $14 (a smaller size is available for about $12) and overall we found Ricky's to be a great choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment