Sunday, August 14, 2011

Latin Fest 2011: Beef Empanada

Latin Fest 2011 by raise my voice
Latin Fest 2011, a photo by raise my voice on Flickr.

I was writing a preview of the second annual Edmonton Latin Festival for a local magazine, when the organizer I was speaking with told me that her mother owned Roma Bistro and that her empanadas always steal the show, whether it is ast Latin Fest or Taste of Edmonton. I attended the second day of the weekend festival and decided to try it out for myself.

The fact there was a huge lineup at the Roma Bistro food stand indicated a good sign. That, and there was not much else in the way of food other than ice cream and treats. However, when the lineup thinned out later in the afternoon I grabbed the opportunity to try a beef empanada.

The crust was corn-based and much lighter and crispier than other empanadas I have had. Inside was a huge amount of pulled beef mixed with seasonings like onions and a hint of cilantro. I was left wanting more, but it looks like I am going to have to head to Roma Bistro to have my cravings satisfied!

No comments:

Post a Comment